Friday, November 21, 2008

Bloomies Property Tax Rebate Issue

Mayor Mike Bloomberg (Billionaire-NY) is now saying that due to the City's current awful fiscal state, that the mandated $400 property tax rebate owed homeowners will not happen in 2009. Why? There is just no money.

Mayor Bloomberg suggested yesterday that he won't send out the annual $400 property-tax rebate to small homeowners - even if legally forced to do so by the City Council. "We have no money," said the mayor. "I think that's what you have to understand. This is not a legal issue; this is a fiscal issue."

I get on Mayor Bloomberg a lot but in this case he is right. If we have no money for this giveback, we can't give it back... Unless the City decides further cuts in services are required. Now, I am not for raising taxes at all, but I do think the City can save some $ by reducing the overwhelming numbers of municipal employees, most of whom are just living off the government dime and not doing much of anything (trust me, I know, I've worked with them...)

So I support the Mayor on this. A one-year moratorium on this rebate.

No comments:

Post a Comment